Saturday, July 11, 2009

Think... Then Jump


Dana L. Perri is a student from my yoga class. She is also a picture book author. She gave me a book to share with you. It is the first in her series called Think... Then Jump. The series follows Rana the Frog, and the purpose of the stories is to help Rana learn some life lessons about thinking before jumping into action.

The first book is called The Grumpy Frog. Rana the Frog is wakened early by the birds singing and grumpily tells them to be quiet. His quick angry response does not help the situation. Along comes Lulu the Bird, who helps him learn to stop and think. Rana learns a lesson about being grumpy.

I was happy that Lulu also learned a lesson. It shows that those who teach us also still have room to grow. There are discussion questions at the end of the book to share with children to further help them understand the message of the book. I tested these out on Sierra. Sierra liked the story and was only slightly confused about the last question. This is good, because it gave us something to discuss!

We loved the simple rhyming story, and the bright illustrations energized each page. Dana was nice enough to give Sierra a t-shirt for the Think... Then Jump series. I think she wore it for two days in a row, she liked it so much! If you would like to read more about the series or pick up a copy, visit the website by clicking on the picture or the link above.

8 comments:

Inner Elder said...

Wow! Wouldn't the world be a less chaotic place if people actually thought a thing through before jumping into action. Hmm, what recent war might have been averted? I wonder...
By the way, I wrote a blog inspired by your quiz "Lessons I learned from Mom, Dad and Me!" Check it out. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

I love this book! Dana came and read to my daughter's class at school and she was so excited to meet an actual author. I bought a book and a shirt and we read it together every nite. It has really helped her learn to read while teaching valuable lessons. Great Post!

Marta Neira said...

I loved this book and so did my daughter. My daughter has a speech delay so she often doesn't express herself yet she really opened up with the interactive questions at the end. It was wonderful to be able to see how this story prompted her to share. Can't wait for the next book...wonderful Dana..

Anonymous said...

Dana also came to read at my sons school. She spent the whole day. each of our K-2 classes got 20 minute to a 1/2 hour with Dana. She reads the book and then does age appropriate Q&A. Aside from reading the book, Dana played games with the kids - referencing pictures from the book - and teaching kids to think outside the box. It was a great experience. - Phylisse

Anonymous said...

I was lucky enough to attend the Greenburgh Library opening and got a chance to meet Dana. Her enthusiam and boundless energy while reading to the children and playing games with them was very impressive. She truly has the children's best interests at heart and is committed to teaching wonderful lessons through her stories. I highly recommend her book(s) psss...I hear another may be ready by October...

Isabel said...

Some months ago I was handed Dana's book to look at and I took a quick read as a group of us sat there chatting. I was hopign the book was mine to keep adn so it was. I took it home and re-read it and read it yet again to my kids. I could not get away from teh wonderful lesson that even we adults can afford to remember. The book served as a great inspiration to my home, my children. We adopted Dana's mantra of "think the Jump". I often go back and remember this and stop myself from reacting hasty. I can't thank Dana enough for reminding us that it is so much more rewarding to be kind.

js said...

This book is extremely engaging and different enough to get kids' attention and keep it. I have two daughters, 3 and 5, and I wasn't sure how they would react to the Q & A at the end. They loved it and really came up with some interesting answers. We can't wait for the next book!!

Stephanie Kontzamanys said...

This book is amazing in every way!
Both of my kids, ages 8 and 6, love to read it and are always "quoting" from it.
Our family loved the book and it's message so much that we ordered several copies for friends and their children.
We are hoping to hear that Rana will live on in other books by this inspiring author.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...