Monday, April 16, 2007

Never Assume...

Hmmm…I think I need to explain something. I grew up in the city. I mean, The City, as in New York City. The city is a pretty diverse place, and I consider myself lucky to have grown up in a place where I could meet so many interesting people from various ethnic, cultural, economic and religious backgrounds. My friends have crossed every spectrum of race and creed. I would have it no other way. I’ve learned so much from so many, and I hope I’ve shown them that I am genuinely interested in them and what they have to say. I am a listener.

My experiences, some of which I’ve written in this blog, have created who I am. My life is a journey, an adventure in being. And I try to laugh as much as I can. I truly feel that is important.

Now, the interesting thing about being a listener (and an introvert) is that I don’t always divulge a lot about myself. Sometimes I am just so interested in listening to another person that I hardly say anything regarding myself, and conclusions are drawn about me.

I have been mistaken for being Turkish, Arabian, Italian, Russian, anything Mediterranean. My own roots are Spanish, German and Hungarian and I grew up in a house hearing both Spanish and English.

I’ve had people assume that since I had a Spanish surname I must speak Spanish fluently. I don’t, but that doesn't mean I'm not good at translating.

I've been mistaken for being a Democrat, a Republican, a Conservative, a Liberal. I'm of the Groucho Marx school of thought--whatever it is, I'm against it.

I’ve been mistaken for Jewish and Protestant. I am Catholic.

Being of a sensitive nature, I don’t always know how to respond. I don’t like to embarrass anyone, but sometimes the truth needs to be spoken. Which brings me to my point (I do have one). I guess I made an assumption that it was pretty obvious what my religious background is and I am sorry if I was misunderstood. My faith is very personal for me and I have always believed that it was more important for me to live it, rather than talk about it. Since I began blogging, I have laughed and learned, commented and received comments, and I have been spiritually inspired by many blogs, whether or not they share my religious faith. I want everyone to know that I appreciate their comments, I am honored when someone links to my blog, and I honestly love and care about all of you. And so, my friends, I hope to continue hearing from you and I hope to continue sharing my adventures with you. I wish you all peace and laughter!

And as long as I'm giving full disclosure, I also eat way too much cereal, watch too much TV and I yell at my kids when I've lost all patience.

(Editor's note: For the record, I have not had my feelings hurt, I'm not upset with any of you, this is me just wanting to be honest and up front. In fact, I would be relieved to start hearing from all of you again soon so that I don't think I've scared you all away. )

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...