Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Home Spun comic strip #446

Home Spun comic strip #446

I admit, Yu-Gi-Oh was a sore spot for me for a long time before I realized I could use it for learning. I taught Chase to read with dinosaur-themed workbooks and simple math operations using his dinosaur collection as manipulatives. Yu-Gi-Oh was another tool waiting to be used. I truly believe that anything can be used to teach. Sometimes it takes a little time to figure out how best to turn a child's obsession into educational material, but it's worth it, because the interest inspires learning.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

I used to play D&D with the homeschooled kids of a friend of mine. When she mentioned to me that the oldest (10 at the time) was having trouble finding the motivation to work on her addition and subtraction, suddenly there was a lot more emphasis on the money parts of the game. And a new rule that you weren't allowed to write on other people's sheets so her younger brother couldn't do it for her.

Laura @ Life,Faith,Home,School said...

Haha....I love this one...really resonates with me, too. But, I have to say, what really drew me in was the cliffhanger ending -- almost like a Superman comic or something, "The world is safe....but....for how long?" -- tee hee.
Oh, in other news, is your saving-containers-for-crafts-and-other-purposes contagious? Because, I have been afflicted!!! Aurgh!! The horrors! The crafts! The messes! ;-) Blessings to you

~*~The Family~*~ said...

My son learned how to read because he got tired of waiting for someone to come and read the instructions that pop up on Nintendo games. Couple weeks and he went from a being a reluctant non-reader to a fifth grade level. Amazing what a little motivation can do!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...