Thursday, January 4, 2007

Letter Writing

Chase is walking on air today. Last September he wrote a letter to one of his favorite authors, Bruce Coville. This is the second year I've had them do this project. Last year he wrote to Joanna Cole, but he only received a form letter.
Today he got a response from the author. It was very nice, I don't think I've ever seen a longer reply to a fan letter. Mr. Coville even included a tip about a new book he's writing in "The Magic Shop" book series, which is my son's favorite. He thanked Chase for the pictures Chase had drawn and for letting him know how much Chase enjoyed "Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher," a book that had taken him 13 rewrites! (I know that sentence was awkward. It's late, I'm tired.)
Last year Marina received a reply from Elizabeth Peters, author of the Amelia Peabody series. I think she answered mainly because Marina was such a young reader of this excellent mystery series.
Anyway, I encourage everyone to write to your favorite authors. There is a great resource at Kidsreads.com
Websites: The Official Bruce Coville Homepage
The Amelia Peabody Series, by Elizabeth Peters

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...