Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Home Spun strip #78

Home Spun Comic Strip #78

I've been so busy these past few weeks that we completely missed seed starting this year! *Sigh* Oh well. I guess we'll plant directly in the yard this year and see what happens. There was a variation on this strip last year (I think it was last year). The sprouts were doing so well and I started setting them outside to harden off...and then there was a torrential downpour. There's nothing like watching sprouts bobbing in their peat pellets in a flooded tray. Reminds me of Bilbo Baggins floating down the river on a beer barrel.

By the way, if you've never used peat pellets, you must try them! They are the best invention for planting with kids. They look like brown poker chips when you buy them. You soak them in warm water and they swell into a little planting cell. All the kids have to do is put a few seeds in each and keep them moist. When the plants sprout you can plant them directly into the soil. No worries about potting soil messes or easing delicate sprouts out of seed starting trays. Some of the plants we started this way are still flourishing in our garden years later! One caveat-the squirrels will sometimes dig them up thinking they are flower bulbs. I mulch with wood chips after I plant them to discourage digging.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...