Sunday, January 28, 2007

Homeschool Resources Tag

Compliments of ComfyDenim

1. ONE HOMESCHOOL BOOK YOU HAVE ENJOYED

The Ultimate Book Of Homeschooling Ideas: 500+ Fun And Creative Learning Activities For Kids Ages 3-12 by Linda Dobson, and not just because I contributed ideas to it! It has a lot of ideas to think outside the textbook. Unfortunately, I seem to have misplaced my copy. Hmmm…I really need to keep track of material I lend out.

2. ONE RESOURCE YOU WOULDN'T BE WITHOUT

Can I name more than one? The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home Jessie Wise and Susan Wise Bauer. I use this as my outline for the school year and then diverge greatly from it, but I like the basic philosophy and the reading lists make me feel like I’m giving the kids something more substantial than the grade level reader and series books available.

I also highly recommend Spelling Power. Again, I don’t follow it exactly, but it has still improved my son’s spelling dramatically and it can be used up to grade 12. (My daughter tested out of it in seventh grade, but she’s a natural speller.)

3. ONE RESOURCE YOU WISH YOU HAD NEVER BOUGHT

Hooked on Phonics. I tried it with Marina and Chase because a neighbor gave it to me, gave it away, and then bought a newer edition for Sierra. The kids were never hooked. And I have to admit, after hearing the alphabet repeated for the 30th time, I couldn’t motivate myself to encourage them to practice. If you want to go the phonics route, BOB books are much better.

4. ONE RESOURCE YOU ENJOYED LAST (This) YEAR

I like using Muzzy Spanish for language. I never became fluent in Spanish because I get hung up on syntax, having learned in the traditional “Here’s a list of vocabulary” method. I learned more Spanish being in Puerto Rico with my cousins. Having used Muzzy for a couple of years, I added Laugh ‘N’ Learn Spanish by Lynn Johnston and Brenda Wegmann. Comics are always a plus in our house, so we also use Nitty Gritty Grammar by Edith H. Fine and the Horrible Histories series. (Very hard to name just one resource.)


5. ONE RESOURCE YOU WILL BE USING NEXT YEAR

My mother. She retired last July so I expect I’ll be using her more often to help with math. I’ll also spend the summer reading Algebra Unplugged by Ken Amdahl and Jim Loats so I won’t feel quite so unprepared when Chase reaches higher math. I also might renew my subscription to Teach with Movies http://www.teachwithmovies.org/index.html I like to approach things in a multi media style.

6. ONE RESOURCE YOU WOULD LIKE TO BUY

Hard to say. Sometimes they find me. Since we buy from Amazon and Barnes and Noble.com, we get a list of recommended books because we bought this or that in the past. That was how I found Minimus and Fabulae Mirabiles (Fairy Tales in Latin) which was great, because they were finishing up Lingua Latin. A friend gave us our first Beethoven’s Wig CD, which is why my kids all hum classical music instead of pop.


7. ONE RESOURCE YOU WISH EXISTED

I agree with Comfy Denim. Osmosis would be great. Sierra learns this way to some extent. And has anyone figured out how to harness the time/space continuum so that I can have a few extra hours in the day?

Seriously, I would love to have unlimited access to all of the nature centers, parks and museums in the area. Not enough money for all those membership cards.


8. ONE HOMESCHOOLING CATALOG YOU ENJOY READING

I don’t read the catalogs too much, but Fun Books http://www.fun-books.com/ has been a great online catalog for me. I do like reading the Christmas catalog from Rainbow Resource (I have to know what I’m looking for to brave their telephone book size resource catalog).


9. ONE WEBSITE YOU USE REGULARLY
Aside from Homeschoolblogger? I like using Ebird http://ebird.org/content/index.html and the Old Farmer’s Almanac for Kids http://www.almanac4kids.com/ I told you, I can’t name just one. We’re all over the place.



10. TAG OTHER HOMESCHOOLERS

I would really like to hear from CarpeBanana and Aussie in America but only if they aren’t too busy. ;o)

Sorry I didn't have time to link everything. Have to finish inking my comics by Monday. (Just a couple more hours, that's all I ask!)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...