Saturday, April 7, 2007

Strings and Things

Last night, my Dear Sweet Husband who knows I hate to drive in Manhattan (especially at night) drove us into the city so that I could visit with some of my favorite Pennsylvania relatives. We were attending my second cousin Kirsten's violin recital (I've spent a lot of time discussing cousin relationships with above mentioned Pennsylvanians, so I'm pretty sure she's my second cousin). Let me just say that she was AWESOME! She played a piece by Baroque composer Jan Dismas Zelenka with accompaniment on oboe, bassoon, cello and harpsichord which was my personal favorite (I like music from this period). She also played pieces by Franz Schubert, Johannes Brahms, and Wolfgang Korngold with piano accompaniment. I realized I hadn't heard her play since Marina was 3, almost 11 years ago! She's expanded considerably beyond "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star."
Speaking of awesome, my kids were amazingly well behaved through the hour long performance. OK, I expected this of Marina and Chase, but even 4 year old Sierra composed herself. She was sitting near her 7 year old cuz, Audrey (second cousin once removed???). Along with two other girls in the front row, they were all sitting quietly, swinging their legs. Sierra was even bopping her head to the music. I was so relieved she didn't jump up and start doing an interpretive dance. After all, this was Kirsten's night.
In other news, I have been nominated for a Homeschool Blog Award in the funniest blog category. I want to thank Eclectic Education for the nomination and for the plug on her blog. I wish I could have had more time to figure out the nomination process, as I think Comfy Denim and CarpeBanana are much funnier than I am! But I spent a good portion of this week attending to paperwork (quarterlies are due next week).
Have a happy Easter everyone! I don't have my special paper for my comic strip, but I thought I would throw caution to the wind and borrow paper from the kids to make a little Easter card from the Home Spun family. Look for it tomorrow.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...