Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Books I'm Reading

I was tagged by callmekate to tell about what I’m reading. I think she meant besides picture books. This was hard since I usually only have time for the comics page and the editorial letters of the newspaper. I like responding to editorial letters. I have a folder of newspaper clippings with my published letters and a news feature about a juggling club we used to run. If you would like to make sure you get your 15 minutes of fame, learn to juggle.

I did just finish a book about a month ago called The Tao of Pooh. I loved how Christ-like the taoist principles are. After I finished, I picked up The Adventures of Winnie the Pooh to read with Sierra. I could see how the author chose his examples for the book, but I could also see how it is very easy to interpret anything to your opinion if you pull it out of context. I could probably write my own book about opportunism in the Hundred Acre Wood.

I’m also slowly making my way through Body Clutter by Marla Cilley (the Flylady). I already knew many of the principles, having received her e-mail reminders for years, but I’m very impressed by the sections on learning about why we eat the way we do. I love watching my teachers grow in wisdom, and Marla has done a lot of growing over the four years I’ve read her morning musings. She is an incredible woman and I have a lot of respect for her, even if I have fallen off the Flywagon lately! (At least my laundry and sink are clean!)

My mouth waters for fantasy. I finished my friend Appleleaf’s trilogy Quenarden and I am glad I took the time to have them shipped from Australia. She is a wonderful storyteller. The story is gripping and I found myself moving quickly from one book to the next in anticipation. She’s promised a fourth book. I’m waiting. Note to Paula: I couldn't reach the link through your blog. You might want to check it.

Speaking of waiting, I’m also waiting for Harry Potter’s final book. I know many consider this a straightforward good vs. evil fantasy with a smattering of mystery, but I also saw many parallels with the rise of the Third Reich and Nazi Germany. These stories give me an impression of a second rising of the Nazis. You have the supposedly pureblood wizards who think they’re better than everyone. The muggles, who are the scapegoated Jews. I’m not sure what character Harry is, but Lord Voldemort is definitely Hitler. Everyone assumes Voldemort is dead and are taken completely off guard by his return (sorry if I’ve spoiled the book for anyone). His followers are in hiding. The only difference here is that the Death Eaters are the ones with the tatooed arms to remind them of the past. Makes you think, doesn’t it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am a great admirer of the The Winnie the Pooh series. It inspired me to become a children's book author. I was wondering if you would be interested in seeing my book and reviewing it on your blog. my website is: www.thinkthenjump.com

I am a fellow yoga student of our teacher diann.
thanks
dana

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...