Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Star Wars and Philosophy

We've been watching the Star Wars movies to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Star Wars. We started with the original three and then took a break because I wanted Marina to read Star Wars and Philosophy before we tackle Anakin's descent to the dark side. Marina has already finished the book. It took me a week to get through the first chapter on destiny vs. free will because I had to lie down every two pages. I heartily recommend the book to enhance the experience of the movies. I read most of it before Star Wars III: Return of the Sith came out and I had chills as Obi Wan yells at Anakin, "You were supposed to be the one!"

Anyway, Marina would shush us at times because we were interrupting her. "Shh! I'm reading about moral ambiguity! Shh! I'm reading about stoicism!" She read it in the car on the way to the baby shower and admitted that we could have taken her anywhere and she wouldn't have noticed. This is why she's somewhat directionally challenged. Too much reading in the car.

Incidentally, this is her second Pop Culture and Philosophy book. She's also read Harry Potter and Philosophy. I'm not crazy about all the titles in this series, but the ones that relate to books and movies we've read or seen have been useful. I take my inspirations where I find them and just "separate the wheat from the chaff."

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...