Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Home Spun comic strip #270

Home Spun comic strip #270

Having pets can be a wonderful thing. They teach children how to act around animals. They make us laugh. They provide material for comic strips.

Homeschooling with pets is another matter. Our cats like to walk across books and papers. They sit in dioramas. They treat art projects as cat toys. And they have had a "special" relationship with any toddler in the house.

Nothing stops a read aloud like two cats tearing through the house at top speed. Cat wrestling is much more interesting than spelling. And how could anyone move on to the next subject when there is a cat cuddled in their lap? "Mom? Can you hand me my math book? Merlin is comfortable, I can't move."

I love having pets. But some days they are just fur covered distractions with claws.

5 comments:

Paula Vince said...

They add to the cosiness of homeschooling but you're right about the limitations and distractions. I know a little fluffy white dog who considers an open book an invitation to sit down.
Thanks for your last comment. I totally agree and if I hadn't been so new to the game would have tried to convince her. No lifestyle like it.
Blessings,
Paula

Vundakin said...

I totally agree. My kids are home schooled and we try to keep things quiet while that is going on.

Having pets can sure be a challenge. Keep up the good work.

By the way I liked the comic strip...you should check this one out as well...its pretty funny:

http://www.PublicWorksComics.com

flmom said...

Cat wrestling ... the image that formed in my mind after reading that gave me a really good laugh! Things are never dull around here with an Aussie that thinks he's a lap dog and has to be underfoot almost 24 hours a day. Pets certainly provide a lot of entertainment!

Inner Elder said...

Now you know why Mary couldn't bring her lamb to school.
Love, Mom
PS Kathy and I were in the Village yesterday and passed a radio station where they invited us in to read a few minutes from "The Sorcerer's Stone" in honor of its 10th anniversary! But we were hungry and passed up 15 minutes of fame for lunch!

Anonymous said...

I love the "Toaster" strips. Our dogs trample all over our learning, too. And that's nothing to the challenge of having a 4-year-old.

http://momofmonkeys.wordpress.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...