Thursday, December 4, 2008

I Am Not Forty Until Approximately 9:00PM EST

Today I will become forty.

At this time, I would like to dispel all myths about myself. I am not supermom. I am not a perfect example of homeschooling. My house is cluttered. I have moments of great insecurity and I worry that I'm screwing up my kids. I didn't even like broccoli when I was a child.

The Broccoli Picture

Like that shot? Thank my father. He told me if I didn't finish eating, he would take a picture. You can see how I was always determined to do things my way. By the way, I do like broccoli now. After years of having this picture pulled out for the amusement of family and my future husband, I can now honestly say that the broccoli was overcooked (sorry Mom). I prefer it lightly steamed.

Thirty nine has been a pretty good year. I had some work published. I won an honorable mention for my poem "Reading a Hot Drink." I am blessed with a large and supportive circle of family and friends. I couldn't ask for more, really.

And I know right now some of you are thinking, "How are you holding up after 40 years?" when the question should be, "How are my kids holding up?"

Let's take a look, shall we?

Forty and Going Strong Forty and Still Strong

I would say they're holding up rather well. They're not getting any lighter though.

13 comments:

Kerian said...

Myth? So you didn't (or thought you didn't) like broccoli as a kid - I still think you are super, incredible, and amazing! You are doing fantastic! I adore you guys. Love you and happy birthday!

P.S.
I love the pictures. I was so eager to see the new one last year that I can't believe I forgot about it this year. It looks like Sierra did a good job on her hair. Hugs to you and the family!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Stand alone 40, in the pile is 73+. I love you and all. Dad

yofed said...

Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! :-) I'm glad you're a person who does things her own way. ;-)

Alison Kerr said...

!Happy Birthday!
40 Years Young

It's an imperfect life and we are imperfect people doing our best. I hope you have a close to perfect birthday with some nice, crunchy broccoli for dinner :-)

- Alison

Keeley said...

Happy Happy Birthday! Yay!!!! =) Hope you have a super wonderful fabulous day. *Great big fat hugs to you*. =)

Are you SURE you're not a supermom? Because you actually like broccoli and I hate the stuff. =D

That look of yours is AWESOME! =D

RYC, The Story of Stuff is really good - and food gifts are the best! I'm always thrilled when someone turns up with a plate of goodies because a) We're all sugarholics in this house and b) No clutter! Woo Hoo! =)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Fun photos of the kids - love the broccoli photo

Vicki said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!! Then and now! You are so blessed and me even more so for having the privilege of knowing you! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! You are AWESOME!!

Love ya!
Vicki

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday - allegedly, life begins at 40, allegedly! Cute pictures - I didn't like broccoli when I was a kid either. S's haircut looks cute - she/you did an excellent job with the bangs. Looks like you just trimmed C's hair - his hair is sooo curly.
Have a great day - love, Linda

Anonymous said...

happy birthday! looks to me like *you* are an ace at holding up. ;^)

TobyBo said...

rats... I'm about half an hour late for the actual anniversary. Hope it was a happy one!

Bonni said...

Popping in to say Happy Birthday! I hope you had a wonderful day. I can't believe you're 40! You look 20-something.

And HO-LY!! Does M ever look like you in that Broccoli Pic!

Cheers!!

flmom said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I hope you had a wonderful day!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...