Monday, July 13, 2009

Home Spun comic strip #373

Home Spun comic strip #373

Had I known at that time how hard it would be to prepare this small plot, I think we would have practiced layering. Rather than pulling out every piece of grass and rocks, you smother the grass and weeds with several inches of dirt and mulch. But I admit it was useful to dig up all of those rocks. Marina used them as a path through the center of her 8 feet square plot. Over the years she's grown everything here: tomatoes, corn, beans, broccoli, carrots, cucumbers, pumpkin, chives, rosemary, parsley, lettuce and sunflowers. In fact, the sunflowers have replanted themselves every year for the past three or four years. She's much better than I am with vegetables. I prefer my carefree, drought-resistant, self-seeding perennials. For some reason, vegetables like to be watered regularly.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I am a strong believer in plants that are care free and drought-resistant. :)

flmom said...

It sounds like Marina has a very green thumb. :) One thing I love about the summer rains here is that I don't have to go out and water the garden. LOL

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...