OK, not a simple idea, but I figured we would give it a try. I took out a book on the Globe and they decided on what they wanted to use as building materials. I should admit that Marina is not a happy team player when it comes to model-building. She would much rather do these projects on her own so that she has complete control over the process. I can't help but feel guilty for making my temperamental artist share a project, but sometimes you need to work together, even if you know you could do it better on your own. Or at least, that's what people tell me. Next time I'll let her work on something separately. There were arguments over stage building and how best to use shredded wheat as thatching, but they did manage to pull it all together.
In this picture, we thought we were finished, but there was still some unhappiness about it, particularly the fact that the stage roof wasn't peaked. We also had a near accident when our cat Romeo jumped up as I was snapping pictures. Which would have been ironic, when you think about it. I can hear the announcer now, "Romeo destroys the Globe Theater, film at eleven."
Back in the kitchen, I helped them add a few more details in chocolate frosting.
I think it was Sierra's idea to add our little William Shakespeare action figure. Here he is, presenting the edible theater.
A view over the walls...
And a bird's eye view from the front...
Base and walls: single layer round cake cut into an octagon and sugar wafers. Store-bought frosting for mortar. (I'm learning not to kill myself with making all the supplies from scratch, since a lot of times the models get stale before they are eaten)
Windows: chocolate chips (I had bought square chocolates for windows, but I forgot to tell them.)
Columns and corner supports: pretzel sticks and Pirouline cookies
Roof: Shredded wheat.