Monday, February 22, 2010

Home Spun reprint: #229

Home Spun comic strip #229

Due to illness, my comic strip will be delayed this week. I dug out this reprint for you to enjoy. I thought it best reflected how sometimes we need to be selfish with our time. If we try too hard to be there for everyone else, sometimes it is to the detriment of our own health. It has been a crazy, busy year for our family. I have one child in dance and preparing for first Communion, another who was completing requirements for his black belt and preparing for Confirmation, and a third who works but doesn't drive and has needed monthly checkups for her braces (the bottom brace is finally off, the top brace is supposed to come off next month). Add to this that we are down to one car and I try to give my husband lifts to and from work when possible, and I think I was primed with a big target for whatever virus decided to settle in last Wednesday.

Why do we do too much? Because we love our family! And I have to say, they have stepped up since I got sick. Chase has made dinner a couple of times. Sierra has been proving I wasn't crazy in letting her try to unschool by moving past the easy reader books and taking on a book with a bigger time commitment: Nancy Drew. Marina is Marina, picking up my slack in straightening and answering her little sister's endless questions. And my husband has helped keep on top of meals, trash, cleaning dishes and passing me my meds. Everyone has been wonderful about bringing me warm drinks and food. I feel like a slacker, but I already took a backslide by not resting when I felt a little better, so I'm trying to behave. I am simply thankful I have my family to take care of me while I'm on the mend.

Anyway, that's why there are no comics this week ... yet. (No, really, I promise not to work on them until I'm really feeling better.) Sometimes we need to be unsocialized.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

get well soon!

Mama Self said...

That's so great that your family has shown you that your sacrifices and love for them are truly reciprocated. I hope you get well very soon - and that you can enjoy your "down time" while you have it. life will surely gear up again fast enough. ;)

Stephanie said...

It's hard to find that elusive balance, isn't it? I hope you're well soon!

Kez said...

I hope you're feeling better soon. That happened to me last week.

flmom said...

I hope you are feeling better! So far I haven't come down with whatever my boys have. At least times like this provide the opportunity for lots of read alouds. :)

yofed said...

Take care, and get well soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...