Sunday, May 29, 2011

Monday is Not the First Day of Summer

Every year it mystifies me that the last Monday in May is seen as a day of happy celebration, the arrival of Summer, and a wonderful opportunity for bargain hunters who like to take advantage of sales.

I want to be perfectly clear and honest here. I'm a peace activist. If I can do something toward the goal of ending war, I will. I value and respect all life. That means I also value and respect the sacrifice made by men and women of the armed forces. Men like my late father-in-law Lew, who served during WWII. To me, today is a somber day of remembrance, set aside to honor those who gave their lives in the service of our country and the veterans who have passed away. Today I honor the lives of these brave men and women and I pray that those who still stand in war zones remain safe and get to return home soon.

The day is Memorial Day. It is a day when we should honor those who have spoiled us with the freedoms we so often take for granted. Take a moment from the activities of your long weekend to talk about them. Remember them.

1 comment:

Inner Elder said...

Amen to all you've said! And said so well. Love, Mom

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...