Friday, October 28, 2011

Beyonders: A Review of Book 1

I just finished the book Beyonders: A World Without Heroes by Brandon Mull, author of Fablehaven. This first installment of a trilogy is an action-packed adventure, full of gripping suspense, intrigue and enough funny scenes to keep the story moving. The plot revolves around two teens, Jason and Rachel, who find themselves transported to the world of Lyrian where they meet and become caught up in a rebellion against the evil wizard Maldor.

Among the many reasons I enjoyed the story is that the author offered the most realistic depiction of a homeschooler I've ever read in Juvenile Fiction. I hope other homeschoolers consider reading this book. It was pressed upon me by my own two homeschooled teenagers, Marina and Chase. Marina had discovered it at the library and picked it up because she "liked the cover." Which shows that sometimes it is a good idea to judge books by their covers. It is well written and full of interesting parts that appeal to my geekiness. I highly recommend this book. The only problem with it is that we will have to wait until Spring 2012 for the second installment. Gah!

4 comments:

Twisted Sister in Christ said...

My older two and I fought for the Fablehaven series as they came one by one on the UPS truck. My oldest read "BEYONDER" and loved it. He is waiting for book #2. I am waiting for book #2 before I read book #1. Brandon Mull does a great job engaging his readers.

jugglingpaynes said...

I haven't read the Fablehaven series yet, but I've put it on my list. :o) I think you are smart to wait for the second Beyonders book. Usually I dislike reading series because if I have to wait for the next book I tend to forget what happened in the books before!

momof3feistykids said...

This sounds great! I'm adding it to my list.

Inner Elder said...

Sounds like a great find. And I'm glad the kids found it! Love, Mom

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...