Monday, October 10, 2011

Home Spun comic strip #664

Home Spun comic strip #664

I've seen commercials from time to time about getting the family together for dinner as a way to keep your children out of trouble. Mine have been eating dinner together for as long as I can remember. Sometimes we even eat together for breakfast and lunch. And while we eat, we talk. The table often is the site of our deepest philosophical discussions or historical debates. We draw on the news of the day, favorite books, movies, or comics, and sometimes conversation spontaneously erupts over the most random things. We don't do this every day or at every meal, but I do like to encourage these talks. I want my kids to think about everything. So I might throw out a question just to get things started. What was Columbus really like? Who was worse, Sweeney Todd or Mrs. Lovett? Why can't the politicians get along? Why doesn't anyone recognize Superman when he wears glasses? I try not to influence their responses, and if they pick a side, I try to offer alternative views. It keeps them on their toes. And it keeps me thinking and wondering as well.

6 comments:

CSPeterson said...

Then there was the time we were into making educational placemats to spur conversation and reinforce current subjects. Seemed like a good idea till we studied human anatomy. The schematic of the eyeball seemed to put my husband off his dinner...

Stephanie said...

I love the comic and the post! The best we can manage is one family meal per day and we're often in front of the T.V. It seems like we have our best conversations over morning tea or in the car. :)

Inner Elder said...

I enjoy your table conversations when I am around. There's nothing like a multi-generational discussion about any topic. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

That's a way to get fresh thoughts. Most of the thoughts we usually get are overly proessed.fresh thinking an lead to adventure and discovery.
Love, Dad

flmom said...

This is great! It's usually my little guy that pipes up with some gross fact during dinner.

Nancy Kelly said...

This post is all-too-familiar. If we took away all our family meals over the years, what an epic loss it would be! The comic is great.

Admiration, Hope and Love,

Nancy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...