Wednesday, March 6, 2013

A Random Rambling

In the words of Dr. Seuss, the borfin has shlumped again. My washing machine is on the fritz and I am trying not to be frazzled. I have no time for frazzling. Marina's schedule just kicked into high gear, so I've found myself behind the wheel more than usual. She is a new driver and hesitant about going a solo, which is a moot point since I've needed the car to get to other places while she is in class. 

Other places includes Chase's class. He's been taking a course on digital character building and will (hopefully) be learning to animate soon. Three dimensional art has also been his strength, and even though these are virtual creations, he has done some amazing work. 

He also spent his Christmas money on the game Guild Wars 2. He and Marina have been having a good time with it. It's an MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game). When you create a character, you create a background for it that aligns with a bigger storyline for its race, which fits into the whole world's storyline of trying to bring the five races together through diplomacy. Each race is influenced by different mythologies and cultures. For example, the Char (a horned feline creature) is influenced by Roman culture, some have Latin names, and they are very organized and militaristic. The Sylvari (a plant race) is influenced by Arthurian legend, so there are storylines that are inspired by tales like Gawain and the Green Knight or The White Stag.  They are also inspired by the Greeks, with a Chairon-like character. The Azurans offer lots of logic puzzles, math equations and the scientific method in their games. My kids aren't sure about the influence here. I'm thinking Egyptian and Industrial Revolution steampunk. The Norns are inspired by Nordic mythology, like Beowulf, but also have Native American influences, with animal totems and a closer connection to the earth. The game has a limit on how many characters you can create, so they haven't tried the Humans yet. That's what happens when you share one game instead of shelling out for two! It would be nice if the developers could open more slots.

Sierra has spent a lot of time reading lately. I'm waiting for a copy of The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan to come into the library since she has been speeding through Riordan's books. Like her sister, she has the habit of reading through the night, which makes it difficult to get up in the morning!

I am hoping to have some comics ready for next week. I do seem to be overly committed lately, which is why I hope I have a washing machine soon. I find it relaxing to fold laundry. I think up ideas while meditating over warm clean clothes. Don't tell my family.

6 comments:

Inner Elder said...

Sounds like you've been playing that game too! Didn't you just get that washing machine fixed? Love you! Mom

jugglingpaynes said...

Nope, never played it. I kept Marina and Chase told me about it as I wrote this up!

Anonymous said...

I love the way video games synthesize different mythologies. I am not a gamer myself, but I do find that fascinating. I hope your washing machine is fixed soon, Cristina!

Paula Vince said...

It sounds as busy around your place as it's been around ours. That course Chase is doing sounds great. I mentioned Guild Wars to Logan and he says he likes it too but his favourite seems to have been LOL for a long time now. He's still coming to terms with the different lifestyle and traveling for his IT course at Uni.
About Sierra reading at night, I think that's one of the best things about homeschooling, don't you? We don't need to wake them up at 7am to get ready (unless there's a great homeschool extra-curricular activity on, of course).
As for driving, good for Marina. Neither Logan nor his 22yo cousin who's boarding with us are interested in learning yet, although they say they would like to from time to time. Now that we're living further out of town, that may influence their decision.
Blessings,
Paula

CSPeterson said...

Sounds like everyone is good and busy! I do some of my best thinking when folding laundry, warm from the drier. I won't tell if you won't!

Kez said...

Can I switch places with Chase for a week? That course sounds so cool and even though I'm not a gamer, that one sounds pretty intriguing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...