Saturday, April 8, 2017

Seasonal Changes

I think spring is finally starting to stick. We had a flush of crocuses in the yard that lasted about a day before a deer came and ate the largest bunches.



The pussywillow is coming to the end of its bloom. Snow delayed it twice. This is a valuable first food for the bees. I was happy to catch a few in action.

The goldfinches are throwing off their winter feathers. Their showy, bright yellow plumage is a welcome bit of sunshine at the feeders.


When my children were little, it was my greatest pleasure to take them out in the early days of spring to look for the signs that winter was almost over: tree buds, red-winged blackbirds and grackles, first flowers, early insects, spring peepers and birds singing. All tell the story of the season and the promise of life's renewal.

May you enjoy the longer days in the northern hemisphere.

1 comment:

Inner Elder said...

Your account of helping your children discover Spring reminded me of my childhood, when the buds on the trees filled me with joy. Spring was back! I think I was afraid it would be winter forever. What delights me about your pictures and post is the knowledge that our family tradition of appreciating nature will live on and on. Thank you. Love, Mom

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...