Monday, April 23, 2007

Home Spun strip #89

Home Spun comic strip #89

I'm pretty sure I've spelled some of these incorrectly. Accent marks are not my strong suit. By the way, my dad makes the best arroz y gandules (rice and pigeon peas). And my Godmother makes the best flan (a custard dessert). One dish I forgot to list was pasteles. I'm not sure I can explain it. I was/am the picky eater of the family, so if I ate something, they usually didn't tell me what was in it. Ignorance is bliss, you know. I know this dish has to do with wrapping a filling, usually meat, in a banana paste.
Puerto Ricans are very hospitable. They like you to stay in their homes and they like to feed you. I remember on this particular trip (almost six years ago) we decided to go to a restaurant to celebrate our 10th anniversary and one of my aunts told me, "If you're hungry when you get back, let me know and I'll make you something to eat."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We have very similar cuisines -- our flan is called "leche flan". We also enjoy lechon. Curious, do you know if you've got cookies called rosquillos and saniculas (or a variation thereof)? I'm Filipino BTW.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...