Monday, August 13, 2007

Divine Creativity

I was reading a post on my mom's blog today. It started me thinking about creativity. In particular, I've been thinking a lot about creative moments that seem divinely inspired. Those moments when I feel creatively possessed until I finish, and then stare at my work in wonder. I can't believe it came out of me. Does anyone else ever feel like that? It's happened to me in writing and art. I feel depleted when I'm finished and the artwork, poem or story peers back at me with old eyes. I don't recognize the style as my own.

One distinct feature of this inspiration is that it doesn't leave me alone. I will toss at night, working and reworking the idea in my head. I will make endless sketches until I do the painting. But when I finish, I don't know how I did it! Sometimes I think my art is creating me.

1 comment:

Amelia Antwiler said...

"sometimes I think my art is creating me" is a very cool visual image.

I give those impulses that you've described credit to the Holy Spirit. God is the God of imagination - who else would have imagined Kiwis? or Grass seed? Or dwarf elms? Or Giraffes?

Have fun being created!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...