Thursday, August 16, 2007

Zoo Notes

I figured I should take some time to let everyone know Marina is enjoying her zoo internship. Yesterday the interns watched the tigers play with enrichment toys the teens had made. Apparently, tigers really love the smell of perfume. You might want to remember that next time you dowse yourself in your favorite scent before climbing into a tiger enclosure. The perfumed boxes stuffed with wool were quickly dismantled by the frisky big cats.

In 3 days, Chase, Sierra and I have explored every corner of the zoo, including buildings, skyfari, monorail and at least one ride on the Bug Carousel. Sierra rode on the zoo train with Grandma as well. Chase and I had to rush off that day to take him to a follow-up appointment regarding his Lyme disease. In fact, considering the pediatrician visit, the vet trip for smelly cat, and Church yesterday, I've been home long enough to do a load of laundry, make dinner (except for yesterday) and get a few blog entries and comments written.

Our greatest challenge this week has been getting up and out of the house by 9:15. We are not morning people. Except for Chase, whose cat Merlin is insistent about being fed before 8AM, we all have tried to squeeze in as many zzz's as possible before we drag ourselves out of bed. And I know I can't complain. There are kids coming from New Jersey for this class. Just crossing the bridge into the city can take an hour on your average workday. Marina said an earlier camp included some kids from Maine. They came all the way from Maine just to work in our zoo! Next week, Marina will have to be at the zoo even earlier. Luckily, my mother will help me with that. Grandma lives closer to the zoo and she's a morning person, so Marina will stay with the grandparents for at least a week. In some ways, it might be easier to get Marina there as the only child getting ready in the morning.

This weekend, I will try to post some pictures from my all day zoo walks with Chase and Sierra. Look at the time! Gotta go!

2 comments:

Paula Vince said...

I've enjoyed following your hands-on skunk experience. I'm very thankful that's one pest we don't have over here. Your description is very descriptive. What amazing little creatures they are. They look so cute to be "blessed" with such an incredible feature.
I hope Chase will be completely recovered soon.
Enjoy your zoo visits.
Paula

Vicki said...

Thanks for the zoo update! You are making me wish I lived near you again. What a wonderful experience for Marina! Chase and Sierra, too, as they get to spend so much time at the zoo, too!

I pray Chase will have a speedy recovery.

P&L,
Vicki

P.S. I really love the look of your blog! I am still learning so much from you so keep up the great work!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...