Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Home Spun comic strip #326

Home Spun comic strip #326

Yes, this one happened. I told them how it would end. They knew the play. And still we spent about a half hour calming them down. It did bring up some interesting talking points. Marina thought it was better that Juliet died with Romeo, instead of being left alone like Maria was. She saw the pain of the loss. This surprised me, but Shakespeare's story does have a very childlike quality and a very immature view of love. I explained that if Romeo hadn't decided to die with his Juliet, they both would have survived. In a real loving relationship, you don't want your love to suffer, but that also means you don't want them to die because of you. I explained how Maria had the opportunity to take her sad experience and make a change in the world. Perhaps she would work to end gang violence, or work with children to keep them from joining gangs in the first place.

It was nice to be able to talk with her about the movie and see it through her eyes. That was one of many moments where I learned that my children don't always think as I do.

3 comments:

Paula Vince said...

I can see Marina's point but I agree with you about Romeo. I hated that ending. If only he'd gone on with his monologue for 5 minutes longer!
When I was 14, I played the part of Maria in a condensed High School version of West Side Story. The guy who played Tony was shorter than me with a sweet soprano singing voice.
That's a funny strip. Tragedies just aren't my cup of tea either.
Blessings,
Paula
PS I loved those Italian photos.

Anonymous said...

I always think of Romeo and Juliet as the ultimate treatise on immature teenage angst. :-D
We like West Side Story too. Love the discussion that blossomed!

Inner Elder said...

That was a wonderful explanation you gave to Marina. Love, Mom

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...