Saturday, February 14, 2009

Links for Chocolate Lovers

St. Valentine's Day always sets me thinking about chocolate. True, most holidays make me think about chocolate, but it was as good an excuse as any to look up quotes and information about this versatile treat. Chocolate is almost as good as water in that it can be enjoyed as a liquid or solid. I believe it is only a matter of time before we find a way to make it a gas. Imagine the marketing possibilities: Chocolate Mist! Satisfy your cravings without the calories and fat!

I've used the Exploratorium before when doing chocolate research. They have a wonderful site for children, including a fun activity for learning how to temper chocolate. For history buffs, you can also explore the history of chocolate at the Field Museum's website. Speaking of chocolate history, here is an interesting quote:

"I was upwards of a year in that country without ever being induced to taste this beverage, and when I passed through a tribe, if an Indian wished occasionally to give me some, he was very much surprised to see me refuse it and went away laughing. But subsequently, wine failing, and unwilling to drink nothing but water, I did as others did. The flavor is somewhat bitter, but it satisfies and refreshes the body without intoxicating: the Indians esteem it above everything, wherever they are accustomed to it."
Girolamo Benzoni, describing cocoa beans.
History of the New World (1565)

For lovers of Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, perhaps you would like to tour a chocolate factory? The Family Education website has links for many chocolate factories you can explore. Learn about Milton Hershey at the Hershey website. Stick around for their video factory tour. Or if you prefer, explore Ghirardelli's Chocopedia.

There are wonderful chocolate quotations at Dan's Chocolates. My son also enjoyed reading the chocolate trivia section.

I hope this satisfies your craving for chocolate knowledge!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there -- I will have to check out some of these links here! I found a neat free curriculum on www.globalexchange.org/campaigns/fairtrade/cocoa/ .

Peace -- it is fun to catch up on your comics!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...