Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Home Spun reprints #77-79 Planting Seeds

Home Spun Comic Strip #77

Home Spun Comic Strip #78

Home Spun Comic Strip #79

Marina and Sierra have been planting seeds this past week. Looking back at this early set of comics, I see nothing has changed...except for the number of cats tramping through the seedlings! I know I've said this before, but our preferred method of seed starting is to use peat pellets. They are much neater than the bags of dirt we used in our early years of planting. For seed trays, I reuse the plastic containers my husband gets from ordering Chinese food. They are deep enough for the inch high peat pellets and they have handy clear plastic covers that protect fresh planted seeds from cats and act as mini-greenhouses. Now I just need a way to stick them to the shelf so that they can't be pushed off by a stretching cat.

3 comments:

Mama Self said...

Oh, to get into the dirt again! But I haven't figured out the weather here in CO yet, so I'm a little nervous to get my herbs started...but I can't wait! There's something so therapeutic about the smell in the air after running your fingers through rosemary, basil, mint, thyme...

Janet said...

I love that last comic! Our cat just dug up all my rhubarb starts today. It was such an amazing thing to start rhubarb from seed... and now we get to do it all over again! LOL Thank goodness the huckleberries hadn't germinated yet.

Stephanie said...

*Smile*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...