Monday, May 17, 2010

Various Resources in One Post

I thought I would share some of the resources I've found over the years that proved helpful in our homeschooling/unschooling.
I hope no one feels intimidated. These are tools I've used over 10+ years and is actually only a partial list. I've added links where I thought they might be useful, fun or interesting.

(Note: Not all of these worked for all of my kids, so it's good to try to borrow the books or DVDs from the library whenever possible to test them out. I originally found many of the books and DVDs through our library system.)

General:
-The Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise
-Secrets of a Buccaneer-Scholar by James Marcus Bach (my son just read this, it has an unschooly feel)
-Teach Your Own by John Holt
-Freedom to Learn blog
-TED Talks
-Brainpop (many free featured videos on this site)
-Free Rice (mini quizzes on various topics)
-Random Facts (facts on different topics--this is a new one I just found out about that will be very useful)

English and Reading:
-Guys Read
-Starfall (Online reading program)
-Schoolhouse Rock's Grammar Rock
-Where Do You Get Your Ideas? by Sandy Asher (on writing)
-Rose, Where Did You Get That Red? by Kenneth Koch (on writing poetry)
-Nitty Gritty Grammar by Judith P. Josephson and Edith H. Fine:
-Elements of Style by Strunk and White
-Barron's Painless Grammar and Painless Junior Grammar
-Vocabulary Cartoons series by Sam, Max and Bryan Burchers

Language:
-Muzzy Spanish
-Laugh 'n' Learn Spanish by Lynn Johnston and Brenda Wegmann
-Minimus by Barbara Bell (for Latin)
-TuTubusLatinus (many lessons in Latin, we use the Aeneid of Virgil, where the Aeneid is translated in a series of videos)

Math:
-Sir Cumference series by Cindy Neuschwander
-The Dot and the Line: A Romance in Lower Mathematics by Norton Juster
-Singapore Math
-Murderous Maths series by Kjartan Poskitt
-Khan Academy (site offers video help with math and physics)
-Algebra Unplugged by Kenn Amdahl (good for readers)
-Barron's Painless Geometry
-Geometry Success in 20 Minutes a Day

Science:
-Handbook of Nature Study by Anna Comstock
-The Usborne Complete First Book of Nature
-eBird
-Exploratorium
-Best of Beakman's World DVD
-Delta Education's Science in a Nutshell kits (expensive, but worth it if you have several children or worry about doing experiments)
-My First Body Book by Melanie and Chris Rice
-Adventures with Atoms and Molecules by Robert C. Mebane and Thomas R. Rybolt
-The Physics of Superheroes by James Kakalios (there are great videos at his website)

History:
-Horrible Histories series by Terry Deary
-Various biographies by Mike Venezia
-Wicked History biographies
-The Kingfisher Complete Book of World History (this one may be out of print)
-The Usborne Internet-Linked Encyclopedia Of World History
-American Girl series

2 comments:

Karen said...

Great list, Cristina!
Next rainy day, which I think is supposed to be tomorrow actually, we're coming here to check some of these out.
:-)

call*me*kate said...

Looks like a great list! We have some tapes of Beakman's World around here somewhere, I need to dig them out now that the kids are old enough to "get" the humor. Todd and I watched Beakman all the time when Chad was a baby (that was back when we had TV.) We loved Josie.

Thanks for your comments on my post about my "Surprise" trip. I love how you and I think alike so often. It's reassuring to know someone understands! Please tell your lovely daughter "Happy Birthday" for me. She is a treasure - lucky you!

Have a terrific week!
Kate

P.S. HSB has certainly made things more complicated, at least in my opinion. How are you doing with that site? Perhaps it's just me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...