Monday, February 14, 2011

Home Spun comic strip #583

Home Spun comic strip #583

In the past, I've always been amazed at the excuses I'm given for not homeschooling. Especially since I wasn't really trying to recruit anyone. I like homeschooling, but I know it's not for everyone. Some days it isn't even for me! And yet, parents at various classes we've attended have felt the need to detach themselves from any thought that they might homeschool. My personal favorite is "I could never spend all day with my kids!"

Honestly, I haven't heard the excuse in today's cartoon more than once or twice in my 12 years of homeschooling, but I was recently reminded of it in a private email exchange. So this week I decided to address the affordability of homeschooling in my own comic.

6 comments:

flmom said...

I can't afford NOT to homeschool! :)

Stephanie said...

"I know it's not for everyone. Some days it's not even for me!" Thanks for saying that out loud. :-D

Inner Elder said...

They probably say they can't afford it because they would not be able to work at a paid job outside the home. In ancient times, when I grew up, very few Moms worked outside the home. We had less stuff and didn't miss it at all. Sorry for the reminiscing but it kind of puts things into perspective. Love, Mom

Vicki said...

Hi, Cristina's mom. I'm Vicki. Full-time working mom and homeschooling mom, married to a full-time when not working overtime husband. I'm not going to say throwing homeschooling into the mix doesn't make things more complicated in some respects, but where there's a will, a way can be found. Taking on the responsibility to educate one's own children, can be done, if the desire is there, whether or not one works. =)

Believe me, there are many days I've wished I could afford to just stay home and homeschool. I don't work for 'the glory'. I work so we can afford food. Times are rough so you do what you have to do even when it includes educating your kids.

=) K. Just pointing out that Homeschooling, even though it may be easier being a stay at home mom, doesn't mean you can't if you must work.

Cheers!

Vicki

P.S. Even though we tend to unschool and many people believe unschooling equals neglectful parenting, that really isn't the case. I'm always staying involved in looking for and finding great educational material, journeys, learning experiences to enrich my son's life with.

jugglingpaynes said...

Vicki, you're absolutely right. I think my mother was speaking from where we are, an area that is very into owning the best car, home, electronics, etc. I know of many two income families who homeschool, they just have different needs, like books, money for classes, and other learning experiences. :o)

Keeley said...

You can always afford the stuff you make a priority.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...