Friday, April 15, 2011

Home Spun comic strip #603

Home Spun comic strip #603

From the Free Dictionary:
e·thos (ths)
n.
The disposition, character, or fundamental values peculiar to a specific person, people, culture, or movement: "They cultivated a subversive alternative ethos" (Anthony Burgess).

[Greek thos, character; see s(w)e- in Indo-European roots.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

This one was tough for me. I had to talk out ideas with Marina to figure out how to represent ethos. Luckily, she's good at explaining concepts she's read about. I tend to need to see things to understand. She says she can't teach, but I've learned plenty from my daughter. I like that we have so many learning styles and interests in our family. It means that we all have strengths and our own way of looking at things and are able to help each learn.

2 comments:

Inner Elder said...

This really gets you thinking. About one's own ethos. I marvel at how Marina thinks and "gets" what she studies or reads about. I too need visual aids and examples to grasp concepts. What does that mean? Love, Mom
PS I am familiar with the word "ethos" because of my crossword puzzling. Another teaching tool.

Amanda, the Head Nut said...

Oh, so it's not just us? lol!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...