Friday, April 13, 2012

Meme of Randomness and Questions

There was an interesting meme at Confessions of an Erratic Homeschooling Mom. I figured I would do it.


The Rules:

1. Post these rules.
2. Post a photo of yourself and 11 random facts about you.
3. Answer the questions given to you in the tagger’s post.
4. Create 11 new questions and tag new people to answer them.
5. Go to their blog/twitter and let them know they have been tagged.
I won't tell you how many photos I took before I settled on this one. I think I need a haircut.

Random Facts About Me:
  1.  I am a picky eater. I prefer very simple food, which is why I would rather cook than go to a restaurant. In my defense, I've found I have allergic reactions to several common herbs. I can take small amounts of them, but large quantities tend to bring on breathing problems.
  2. I'm torn between a love of traveling and a love of sleeping in my own bed.
  3. Last September I camped outside overnight for the first time in my life. See number two.
  4. It doesn't take much to make me cry, which is why I try to fill my life with laughter.
  5. M&M's® are my Achilles heel. I can't stop eating them, so I try not to keep them in the house. This doesn't really happen with other candies. Makes me wonder what they put in them.
  6.  I think jumping spiders have the cutest faces. They look like miniature Muppets.
  7.  There is still a Christmas themed tablecloth on my table. It's light blue with snowmen and holly. I'll bet it will be a great comfort in the middle of summer. 
  8. I spent part of yesterday afternoon helping to place gelatinous globs of salamander eggs deeper into a vernal pool that is drying up. We need a good rainfall.
  9. When the weather starts getting warm, I find myself pulled outdoors. I would rather pull up weeds than clean the house.
  10. I don't like to argue. I'm not good at defending my point of view because I can easily see how my views will be attacked. I've witnessed a great lack of respect by people with differing opinions, and things usually degrade into personal attacks. I shy away from that and I will even remove a post from my blog if I realize it is hurtful in any way. There is enough anger in the world without me adding to it. To paraphrase, if I have a choice between being right and being kind, I would rather be kind.
  11. I am still amazed when something I planted sprouts up again or flowers in spring. I hope I never lose my sense of wonder for life and living.

Steph's Questions:
 
1. What do you enjoy most about blogging and/or social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.)?

I like being able to write and be read and possibly cause others to think about something in a new way.


2. What advice would you offer about blogging and/or social media?

Always try to be kind.


3. What are a few of the most important lessons you've learned as a parent?

Patience. I'm still learning it.
Prioritizing. Realizing that a messy house is part of a child's need to explore their world and that is more important to me than having my house ready for the next issue of Better Homes and Garden. 
Acceptance. Understanding that they are each their own person and not my Mini-Me clones who are into everything I enjoy doing.


4. Do you have a favorite book and/or movie -- or what are a few of your favorites -- and what do you think your choice says about you?

I have a plethora of favorite books and movies! Off the top of my head there is The Alchemist by Paolo Coehlo, Wonder by R.J. Palacio (this is a new one I just read), the Harry Potter series, The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster, The Princess Bride by William Goldman and the movie, Stardust by Neil Gaiman and the movie, What's Up Doc? with Barbara Streisand, Sleeper, Chocolat, A Night at the Opera, Disney's Sleeping Beauty, The Emperor's New Groove...I like to be inspired by characters who overcome their situation, to feel the warmth of true love, and to laugh at the absurdity of life.


5. Is there a book or movie that changed you in some way? If so, what and how?

The Alchemist made me realize that it's impossible to wait for your life to get started. It will happen with or without you, so you might as well reach for your dreams now, rather than waiting for conditions to be perfect.


6. What is a quality about yourself you know you need to work on?

Self-doubt. I tend to be my own worst enemy, my worst critic of my work. I struggle with this demon. It makes me fear failure and pressures me to be nothing less than perfect, which I know is impossible. The fact that it just took me ten minutes to write this answer probably says a lot about me.


7. What is the quality about yourself that you like best?

I'm a good listener. I try not to judge or inflict my solutions on people, but simply listen.


8. From your perspective, what are the most important traits in a friend?

I like a friend who can simply sit and talk and enjoy just hanging out together. Bonus if they like strolling around my yard or taking a walk on a trail with me.

9. What behavior or personality trait tends to really push your buttons?

Mocking bothers me a lot. I'm probably just overly sensitive, but when something is important to me--like my faith or how I raise my kids--and someone turns it into a joke or makes light of it, it can really upset me.


10. What is one memory you'd like to relive, if you could?

Not one memory, but all those early memories of meeting and falling in love with my husband.


11. What is one quality you have that you hope your kids have inherited or will emulate?

Perseverance. I hope they all strive to do the things they want to do, even if it isn't easy to reach their goals. I hope they don't fall back on reasons why something isn't possible and instead find ways to make it possible. I hope they look back in gratitude for their struggles because how we respond to those difficult times does more to mold us into who we are than any easy success.

I'm not going to tag anyone. (Did I mention I'm terrible at following directions?) If you want to do this, I would be more than happy to read it. Let me know in the comments that you did it. I really liked Stephanie's questions, they made me think, so I'm going to leave them up as questions for my readers.

3 comments:

Kez said...

Love the photo! I'm so with you on #10 re not liking to argue.

Stephanie said...

This is awesome! Thanks for playing along, and I love all the eloquent, thoughtful, honest things you shared about yourself.

"I don't like to argue. I'm not good at defending my point of view because I can easily see how my views will be attacked." -- I'm kind of like this too. My mom was a great debater -- she could have convinced them to accept a shipment of coal at Newcastle and impressed you with her intelligence and clever turns of phrase while doing it. I have a little bit of that in me, but mostly I tend to see both sides of every question at the same time and am too afraid of hurting somebody's feelings.

I love this -- "I am still amazed when something I planted sprouts up again or flowers in spring. I hope I never lose my sense of wonder for life and living." I feel the same way.

I need to add some of your books and movies to my list, though we already have some of the same favorites, like Harry Potter, The Phantom Tollbooth, The Princess Bride, and Stardust.

Inner Elder said...

What a wonderful gift to all of us to have you share your self! Some of your answers remind me of me: I've got 2 Christmas tablecloths going and I too suffer from Perfectionism. Grandma also had that wonderful perseverance - I call it Bounce-back-ability. #10 I think this shows a great gift of listening to all sides - if only everyone could do this! Your realization that the struggles mold us is wisdom. Love your comment - better to be kind than to be right. Love you so much and always proud of you, Mom
PS the photo of you is gorgeous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...