Tuesday, March 26, 2019

New Chapter

The beginning of March I started working full time as a library clerk. This whole month so far has involved adapting to my new role. I haven't worked full time since before my oldest was born. She's going to be 26 in a couple of months.

The biggest change is that we will now have health insurance through my job. I've never had that responsibility before. We also bought a second car, because the logistics of getting everyone where they need to be with one car required a time turner. From all of this, my first two weeks as a full time employee involved more paperwork than I've had to do since we bought our house. Maybe more. I need a break from adulting.

I am relieved to have health coverage now. Our coverage through the NY Marketplace took a big chunk of our income every month, and even with that I still had to get two of my asthma meds from Canada because we could more easily afford that than meet the $5000 deductible for our drug plan. The price for basic medications is ridiculous. Two of my maintenance drugs were $300 each for a one month supply, and my rescue inhaler was $50 for the generic. Of course, it had to be the exact generic our insurance would pay for, even though they didn't seem to be paying for it. And while it is a relief to leave the system behind, I would still like to see a better universal healthcare set up for my children's sake. No one should get substandard care because of income level. Not even income level, simply the lack of a full time position with benefits.

The sad part of my new job is that I won't get to spend as much time in the Children's Library. I loved getting creative with the window displays and helping kids find a book that made them happy. On the bright side, my daughter will now take on work as a clerk (along with her page duties) and she will get to step into some of the hours I'm leaving. It's a good job to have while she's working to break into the art world.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...