Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Reprints #92-93

Home Spun strip #92

Home Spun strip #93

I'm wondering if some of my readers will remember these strips. This is the first time I've reprinted them since I wrote them in late April 2007. If anyone remembers and wants some more of these memories, let me know.

I sometimes feel like I never get a break. When you are mom (or dad) and teacher, it can be hard to find down time. There are always things to do in our teaching and caretaking roles. More than once I've conducted lessons from the couch or bed. This is why I repeatedly tell new homeschoolers to make sure you take time for you! Don't feel guilty about reading the latest by your favorite author or spending some time with your hobby. I spent years away from writing and art because I thought I didn't have time for it. There is a reason it's called recreation. Relaxing with our interests allows us to recharge and be of more use to our families. When we don't give ourselves time, we start burning out, which leads to short tempers and illness. We need to take care of ourselves so that we may better take care of our loved ones.

This is an ongoing lesson. I usually burn out after holidays, and this past Easter was no exception. It's easy to get caught up in our activities and suddenly realize a month has gone by and we haven't been eating right or exercising regularly. Yesterday, when the library called to tell me there was low interest in the poetry night I was hosting, I took the choice to cancel it. Usually I would run an event, even if I only had one or two participants. But I need a break. I give myself permission to rest.

4 comments:

Lori said...

so, so true. if sleep knits up the ravel’d sleeve of care, then hobbies/avocations/work must knit up the ravel’d sleeve of personality. we need to keep ourselves whole; you can’t keep pulling water out of a dry well!

re: holidays, i just wrote about how i break the routine to get back onto a good track, but it's so true that a break in the routine is usually what throws us onto a bad track in the first place! ah well, hair o' the dog. ;^)

Inner Elder said...

I remember the math one. A great problem. Wanna know the answer?
Love, Mom

flmom said...

I really needed to read/hear this. :o)

Keeley said...

Hahahaha!! Fabulous. =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...